Sunday 8 February 2015

Book Review: Where the Road Takes Me by Jay McLean

Goodreads Description:

Chloe has one plan for the future, and one plan only: the road. She’s made a promise to herself: don’t let anyone in, and don’t let anyone love her. She’s learned the hard way what happens if she breaks her rules. So she’s focused on being invisible and waiting until she can set out on the road—her dream of freedom, at least for a little while.

Blake Hunter is a basketball star who has it all—everything about him looks perfect to those on the other side of his protective walls. He can’t let anyone see the shattered pieces behind the flawless facade or else all his hopes and dreams will disappear.

One dark night throws Chloe and Blake together, changing everything for Blake. For Chloe, nothing changes: she has the road, and she’s focused on it. But when the so-called perfect boy starts to notice the invisible girl, they discover that sometimes with love, no one knows where the road may lead

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23379428-where-the-road-takes-me
 
Title: Where the Road Takes Me
Author: Jay McLean
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Format: E-book
Pages: 323 pages
Publisher: Skyscape
Source: ARC was received in exchanged for an honest review from NetGalley


Where The Road Takes Me is a New Adult romance with Young Adult characters following Chloe and Blake who randomly meet when Blake was on his jog.

Chloe loss both her mum and aunt to breast cancer when she was very young and is afraid her families medical history will effect her. Cause of this she does not allow herself to be attach to anyone including her foster family and has no plans for the future except "The Road".

Blake is in a cross between choosing to follow his passion for Basketball and accepting a scholarship to Duke or following his father's path of getting enlisted into the army.

It took more than 30% for me to connect with the story but once the plot picks up I wiz trough this. Though the story was a but chopy it was honest and realistic about the whole What's next after High School life. Both Chloe and Blake are uncertainty about their future but they both opened up and choose their path with the help of each other and their family.

The romance was instalove and I was not a fan of it at first, however the more I read about Blake and Chloe's relationship the more I want to cheer for them as their relationship was sweet and heart-warming but also an emotional rollercoaster!

Chloe took a while for me to warm up to as she was selfish to push away everyone she loves just because she does not want her condition to affect them. She needed a bit of push to get her to be strong and brave for the future. Tough and sassy, though she came out as selfish, she's actually very caring and does not want to hurt the ones she loves like how she was hurt.

Blake was charming, funny and caring from the start. I also love how he was positive and works hard to make his and Chloe relationship work.

The book is heavy on the family elements which I love. I love reading the interaction with Chloe's foster family as well as Blake's mum. They are very supportive of the couple and were always there when they needed help.

Also Blake's best friend Josh was awesome to read about! I want a book (or novella) for Josh as I want to know more about his character!

The 'Red Letter Day' metaphor was well used and I actually learned some good stuff about it.

I only have a bit of mix feelings about one thing that is the whole 'realistic money issue'. Maybe its because I'm a money snob in reality but the way that issue was handled made me cringe. I meant I understand Blake's family is well off that his mum is sufficient to fund their whole road trip and I get it that his mum wanted to be pro active and 'upgrade' Chloe's car but the way it was handled was like money grows on trees!

This is a NA romance so expect profanities and steam.

Other than that I did like the story especially the family and road trip element. The ending was sweet, heart-warming and emotional that pulled my heart strings!

I heard so many great things about Jay McLean and I finally got a chance to read her book! I'm definitely checking out her More than this series which is her other series.

Check her out if you are a fan of Colleen Hoover and New Adult Romance!

Also Aussie readers check her out as she's an Aussie author!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment